What is the PACDR?
The tool is designed to conduct in rural and urban communities participatory analyses of risks and their impacts on livelihood resources. It provides background information for organizations on climate change aspects and offers practical exercises to conduct the assessment. Based on the assessment of hazards, vulnerabilities and local coping strategies, more effective and sustainable adaptation strategies are developed with local stakeholders.
The PACDR tool consists of six modules, each comprised of different (participatory) exercises. The first and the last module are carried out by the organization implementing a given project (project management). Modules 2 to 5 are carried out together with the communities (target groups), represented ideally by a group of about 20 to 30 people composed of men and women of different social backgrounds, age groups, professions, etc.
- Compilation of basic information on the analyzed project and its context. If the analysis is not focused on an existing project, collection of all available information on planned activities.
Methods: literature based climate change and hazard review, field visit, interviews with local community members.
- Identification of past, present and predicted climate change related and other hazards in the target area.
- Identification of main climatic, natural or man-made hazards in the community.
Methods: hazard map, seasonal calendar.
- Identification of the impacts of climate, natural and man-made hazards on people and their livelihoods in the community. Identification of coping strategies and their effectiveness and sustainability. Identification of barriers and obstacles to implement coping strategies.
Methods: vulnerability matrix, coping strategies table.
- Identification of adaptation strategies which reduce community vulnerability and enhance community resilience.
Methods: stakeholder discussions, prioritization.
- Identification, assessment and ranking of potential mitigation activities.
Methods: table for identification, assessment and ranking.
- Summarizing results of the different modules, identifying relevant intervention areas and activities as well as potential partners and supporters, evaluating feasibility.
Methods: group discussion, matrix summarizing the results.
Learn more about our lessons learned.
Download of latest tool version for each language
The tool has been continually developed, translated and adapted to the respective contexts. Here you find a list of different PACDR versions in different languages. Note that documents with the same version number but in different language may vary from each other.
|Version||Language||Latest version from||Download|
|PACDR 5.0||Bahasa Indonesia||2010||Download|